Friday, May 18, 2007

Tummage & Doulas


Hi all - we are now at the 18 week mark (well, ok - 17 weeks and 5 days) but I thought I'd post to say a few things:

1. The endocrinologist finally did NOT write the recommendation for me to go to a midwife - apparently hyperthyroidism is too big a risk, despite being thyroid neutral ("euthyroid") for over a year. So, I am back to the traditional ob/gyn with at least the comfort that an epidural is still an option (which it wouldn't be with a midwife...)

2. I am now into the next step - looking for a doula. I spoke with one yesterday on the phone who sounded really great, but apparently you have to interview your doula so that you feel comfortable with her before hiring her. (Well, I guess that makes sense as she is going to be there when you are half-naked, exhausted and screaming in pain...) We'll be doing that in the next few weeks, I'll keep you posted (yuk, yuk...)

3. I started pregnancy yoga classes two weeks ago and they are AMAZING. I am already making friends with other mummies-to-be and the exercise is really good for me. Also we do a lot of work on breathing and guided meditation which I am really hoping is going to help on the big day.

4. Despite feeling fabulous (i.e. no longer pukey and exhausted) I realized last night that this whole mama / giving birth thingy is kind of scary! (Maybe it was the conversation with the doula about C-sections that had me dreaming of operating tables and surgical equipment...) A few nightmares later I am realizing that there's no backing out of it now... I wonder when Gilbert will get to that stage (and if he's wise enough not to let me know when he does!!!)

The pic is my 17.5 week belly - people are starting to notice now!

No comments: